Monday, December 3, 2012

Designs for work signs.

This time of year, I am usually working a lot of hours.
Retail you know, and Art supplies. (www.artistsmediums.com)
I do love my job and it often inspires me, although sometimes in many directions at once!

Artists' Mediums Inc. window sign painted acrylic on sheer trace paper
 
 As the winter grows cold and blustery I do tend to stay inside and paint more.

 Buttoning up for winter (and getting a car!) have taken up some of my time.
No more excuses though, for not doing art. (I just need to recognise the resistance and move on.)

Last spring I was at an impasse, and I was thinking of changing the direction of my art, landscapes seemed a little boring. I still hold a sliver of a painting idea which I still intend to explore. But after much inspiration from several sources, I am renewed with some new ways to look at the landscape, and frankly re-energised to paint.
I haven't been photographing the 3 oils I have going now, but I promise I will soon.
So until I get the ones in progress a little more presentable: here are the sketches I did while trying to design the window covering at the store.

We get great light in the front window, but don't want folks blinded by the rising and setting sun.
Signage allowances are slim and  not all creative folk even know we are tucked back in here, why not make something to block the sun and represent art, like our pallette logo?
Next time I think I will have to paint it on plexiglass though so it won't buckle...and I still need to backlight it!
I did some roudh sketches on paper which I scanned in, some thoroughly rough colorizations so we could judge what I should paint.

 (the first time I posted about this, I simply ahowed the results: http://gypsiesgesso.blogspot.com/2012/04/sign-painting.html)

 Sometimes It could be helpful to share the process, otherwise how can one see how you arrrived at the final destination?
(they are not very good, but I intend this blog to show process, ideas good and bad and all.)





 
 
 
 
Suggestions for a future sing will be welcome at the store, since I think I have to do it over again on plexiglass.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment